Friday 24 April 2015

Change Is A Good Thing... Right?

I said earlier this year that it would be a year of change, but I would never have guessed how right I would be.

Last week, mum and dad officially sold their house. The one I grew up in. The one I spent 18 years, give or take, living in, and boomeranging home to when I had setbacks, or I came back from gallivanting around the world.

It's not the first house my parents have sold. It's not even the first home they have sold. 

I was 10 the first time we moved, and I rebelled as any child would. 
I didn't want to move. I didn't want to leave my friends, and the only place I'd ever known.

But, as happens, I had to. Dad's job moved, mum, my sister and I followed.

We made new friends, learned new skills, found new hobbies, had more opportunities than we would have had if we had stayed in that small town.

This time it's different.

Mum and dad decided to put the house on the market on the Sunday, it was on the market on Monday.

They thought it would take a few months, at least, to sell, probably more like a year.

Within the week they had an offer. I know people who have had houses on the market for over a year without even one offer.

They took it, and the rest is history.

I was a little sad, but it was the right decision. It's the best thing for them. 

It took them a few weeks to slowly move everything into the new house. They just packed up bits and pieces, and moved over a few weeks, which was less stressful than moving everything in a few days. 

It feels a little weird, because now mum and dad are renting a house in the same town, only a few streets from the other house. Last time we actually moved towns.

(I actually went the wrong way yesterday out of habit. Now I have to remember to turn right, not left at the first intersection).

It was weird to see someone elses car in the driveway.

But,

The rented house feels a little more like home now that most of the things have been unpacked.

They're not unpacking everything. They've decided to only unpack what they'll need, so they don't have to pack up everything when they decide to move to the other house.

My parents have a house new Newcastle that is currently rented. They have been talking about knocking it down and re-building for years, but they can't decide on a layout, or builder, so it's on hold right now. 

But they have come to A decision. 

Finally...

They are going to tell their renter that he must be out of the house by the end of September. 

They'll keep the house empty so that they can use it as a holiday house, and go down whenever one of us wants to use it, whether that's me, my sister, or my parents, and our friends.

It's a step in the right direction, and at least now they'll be able to leave fairly easily if they get jobs down there, as opposed to having to sell the house.

Dad wanted to know what I am going to do with all my furniture when I go to London at the end of the year.

Now it can go into the house down there. Then they'll have 2 bedroom settings, a fridge, washing machine, lounge, microwave, and various kitchen utensils etc. They won't need to worry about fitting out the house, and I won't need to worry about what to do with all my stuff.

It really has been a year of change, and it's only April. What else does the year hold I wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment