Monday 28 October 2013

Personalities

I have always been interested in people. The way they think, what they do, how they act and why they do the tings they do. So, it probably comes as no surprise that, when I went to university, I studied psychology as my major. And I really enjoyed it. It just reinforced my love of learning about humans, and what makes us tick, the idiosyncrasies we all have, and the way things change as we get older.

And, as an extension of this interest in human nature, I have always been fascinated by personality tests, and the like. The funny thing is, I have never really been able to be put into a box. Where you are supposed to have 3 strong personality traits, I have 4. And they're always the opposite of each other. And said traits have very little differences in scores between them.

So, the other day, I found this website and took their personality test. This is what my result came out to be:
INFJ Personality Type

When I first saw it I questioned it. Maybe I hadn't read the questions properly. Maybe I miss-marked a few. I mean, it came out that I am Introverted, iNtuitive, Feeling, and Judging. Me? Introverted? Never?

Then I read about the type. And the more I read, the more I was nodding my head, and going 'Oh, that's completely me'. And, by the end, I felt better about myself.

So, here's me, in a nutshell (according to the personality test):

INFJ in a Nutshell

INFJs are creative nurturers with a strong sense of personal integrity and a drive to help others realize their potential. Creative and dedicated, they have a talent for helping others with original solutions to their personal challenges.
The Counselor has a unique ability to intuit others' emotions and motivations, and will often know how someone else is feeling before that person knows it himself. They trust their insights about others and have strong faith in their ability to read people. Although they are sensitive, they are also reserved; the INFJ is a private sort, and is selective about sharing intimate thoughts and feelings.

What Makes the INFJ Tick

INFJs are guided by a deeply considered set of personal values. They are intensely idealistic, and can clearly imagine a happier and more perfect future. They can become discouraged by the harsh realities of the present, but they are typically motivated and persistent in taking positive action nonetheless. The INFJ feels an intrinsic drive to do what they can to make the world a better place.
INFJs want a meaningful life and deep connections with other people. They do not tend to share themselves freely but appreciate emotional intimacy with a select, committed few. Although their rich inner life can sometimes make them seem mysterious or private to others, they profoundly value authentic connections with people they trust.

Recognizing an INFJ

INFJs often appear quiet, caring and sensitive, and may be found listening attentively to someone else’s ideas or concerns. They are highly perceptive about people and want to help others achieve understanding. INFJs are not afraid of complex personal problems; in fact, they are quite complex themselves, and have a rich inner life that few are privy to. They reflect at length on issues of ethics, and feel things deeply. Because Counselors initially appear so gentle and reserved, they may surprise others with their intensity when one of their values is threatened or called into question. Their calm exterior belies the complexity of their inner worlds.
Because INFJs are such complex people, they may be reluctant to engage with others who might not understand or appreciate them, and can thus be hard to get to know. Although they want to get along with others and support them in their goals, they are fiercely loyal to their own system of values and will not follow others down a path that does not feel authentic to them. When they sense that their values are not being respected, or when their intuition tells them that someone’s intentions are not pure, they are likely to withdraw.
INFJ is the rarest type in the population. 

Famous INFJs

Mohandas Gandhi, Eleanor Roosevelt, Emily Bronte, Carl Jung, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Florence Nightingale, Shirley MacLaine, and Jimmy Carter.

Popular Careers for the INFJ

  • Translator
  • Writer
  • Artist
  • Musician
  • Interior Designer
  • Primary School Teacher
  • Counselor
  • Special Education Teacher
  • Physical Therapist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Nutritionist
  • Psychologist/Psychiatrist
  • Social Worker
INFJs as Partners
In relationships, the INFJ is supportive and guided by a sense of integrity. The INFJ's interest in human development applies to their mates as well, and they are encouraging of their partner's dreams, aspirations, and achievements.
INFJs want to maintain harmony in their relationships and are highly motivated to resolve conflicts. They tend to be creative problem-solvers and look for the emotional core of an issue to create a meeting of the minds. Although they desire cooperation, they are not willing to go along with an idea that does not feel authentic to them. When it comes to their core values and ethics, they are unwilling to compromise.
INFJs want a high degree of intimacy and emotional engagement, and are happiest when they feel they are sharing their innermost thoughts and feelings with their mates. INFJs value a partner who respects their deeply held values and ethics, and one who appreciates their creativity and inspiration.
After reading this, I can definitely see myself in this. Job? I thought about being a school teacher, and I like kids. Not teenagers. Kids. When I thought about teaching, it was primary that I thought about doing. I have a keen interest in nutrition, and I thought about going into physiotherapy. I am now studying exercise physiology and want to go into rehabilitation with kids. I am a flute player, and have always been into the arts. So, that is actually quite scary in how accurate it is. 

I am definitely someone who prefers to spend time with a few close friends, or on my own, than with a huge group of people. I talk to people, but very few actually get to know me. I am always searching for a deep, personal connection with people. I am incredibly sentimental, and sometimes overly emotional. I feel I have that strong sense of personal integrity, and definitely a drive to help others. I cannot stand insincere people, and if I feel that someone is not being honest with me, I tend to just leave them alone, making no effort to deal with them. And, I guess, being the rarest type makes sense, because I've always felt a little on the outer, struggling to understand why I don't quite fit with the people and the experiences around me.

I always find these things interesting, and I always find out a little more about me.

Whats your personality type? What about your friends/loved ones? Are you compatible?

D xo

No comments:

Post a Comment