Wednesday 16 October 2013

I Think I've Found My Calling!!!

Well, maybe. Ok, so I haven't actually worked in a job that I think is my calling, but if the way I've been studying my arse off, and the marks I've been getting in return for it, are any indication, then yes, I have found my calling. And maybe, just maybe, it'll work. And I know there will be hard, incredibly hard, days in the job I want to do. And I know that, because I'm an over-sentimental person, who is way, way, waaaaay too empathetic at times, that it could, and possibly will, rip my heart out at times, and there will be days I will just want to go home and cry, I am so ready for this. And now I'm rambling


I'm sure I said this before, but I'm currently studying a Bachelor of Sports and Exercise Science in Clinical Exercise Physiology. I will, next year, transfer into the new Bachelor of Clinical Exercise Physiology. There are new rule changes and the uni has split the degree into 2 separate ones and there was a lot of jumping up and down from everyone including me, but now that it has all died down, and I've had some time to think about it, the new rules are definitely better (from my perspective anyway). In the current degree there is an awful lot of science subjects. And I know, it's a science degree, but we were studying the biology of cane toads and plants when I'm going to be working with living, breathing humans. I have no need to dissect another cane toad. I don't think I had any reason to in the first place but that is another argument.  We also studied chemistry, which is another good subject, and I'm sure it does end up having a lot to do with what I am studying as well, but I would rather have the unit organised to suit what I'm studying. And I know that sounds selfish, and probably stupid ok, I know it sounds stupid and selfish but when I'm studying a new chapter and idea every week, and I can't see how it relates to me and my studies, I find my attention wavering, and it get's hard to concentrate. If I was doing biochemistry I would have been fine but I'm sure that I'll cover that in later biomechanics classes. And then there was math, and I'm not really sure why I needed to take that class. Maybe it was just to torture us? I didn't like calculus in high school, I hate it even more now. And again, I'm sure it has relevance to other degrees, like engineering etc, but it just didn't feel relevant to me. Yes, I like to know what I'm studying is relevant. I'm someone who learns through doing more than just reading and listening. I was sitting in my biomechanics exam waving my arms and legs around as I tried to work out some of the answers.


Anyway, moving on. SO, the new rules are more prac based (as in, they are less sciency based and more biomechanics based so we aren't spending the first 2 years of our degree saying 'we're studying sports science, why are we looking at plants, and the hardness of diamonds) there's that relevancy thing again, and yes, I know you need the basics to start with, but this course has a 70% drop out rate because the first years don't have enough relevancy to what we want to do at the end. Prime reason for the rule changes


Yay!!! for more relevancy. The downside? It turns into a 5 year degree, and, because I'm doing it mostly part time it's going to take most of my lifetime probably another 6-8 years! downside :(


However, this is definitely something I want to do, something that I can see myself doing for the rest of my life, or at least for a long time :D

Exam results come out (I think) next week, so hopefully the results will show the work I've put in this semester.

But, here's to 2 weeks of time off, and reading things that aren't textbooks :D

No comments:

Post a Comment