Tuesday 3 February 2015

Australia Day Weekend Fun!!!

And some not so fun, but we'll get there.

So, the other day I got a call from Nat coz she had to cancel our dinner date because she had a co-worker's farewell to attend.

I understood, I did, really, but I was very disappointed.

I really wanted a chance to catch up with her, and o get everything about my dad off my chest to someone who wasn't involved in it.

But no worries, I got a message Friday night asking how I felt about a road trip to Sydney and a girls day. 

I said no way.

Kidding.

I said hell yeah!!!

So, Saturday afternoon, I packed my bags (after getting the day off work, and being told dad was coming home which is a whole other post entirely), and headed the 1.5 hours south to see one of my bestest ever friends. 

I mean, this was the girl who called me at 9am on a Saturday morning, when I was so hungover I seriously thought I would die, told me to get my arse in the shower, that she needed groceries, and I was going with her.

She banged on my bathroom door for about 5 minutes before I could make myself leave the warm confines of the shower stall that day.

Then proceeded to give me shit about it ever after. She still does.

Anyway...

I get there and am handed my bridesmaid dress and my wedding invitation (I had made a joke about not being invited because everyone already had there's and were sending them back and I hadn't even gotten one)

It's stunning.



Ans it's the blue in the picture and looks exactly the same.

They made them all to order, so we each got our dress in exactly our size.

And yes, I am trying to lose weight, but it laces up the back so as long as I don't lose 20 kg in the next 10 or so weeks, it'll still fit!

Nat was hesitant as none of us had bought made to order dresses, but they're perfect. I'm thinking I may cut the length of mine to my knees afterwards because you could definitely wear it shorter and it would still look amazing.

Fro Yo we had for dessert on Friday night
Anyway...

Sunday morning, bright and early we pack the car and hit the road. 

Part way there we remembered that, while we bought the snorkeling gear with us, we forgot the umbrella and hats. Oops.

So, We pick up Amy, then meander through the city to Wollongong where we pick up Boe, before heading down the South Coast. 

We ended up at Shellharbour. More specifically, Bushrangers Bay.


Yes, the rocks go right into the water. Makes it hard to get in and even harder to get out.
All images via Google.
It's an absolutely breathtaking place, and I wish I had my photos, but they were taken with Nat's phone.

It was here, on this pebbly beach, that we waddled into the water, laughing at each other as we tried not to fall over as we navigated the rocks in our flippers, and snorkeled in the wonderfully warm water for about an hour.

Too bad the water was a bit murky and we couldn't see very far.

The group of diver's getting their certificates made me want to join them.

After we all paddled (and I had a slight moment of panic when I felt like I couldn't breathe, as I always do when I first start to snorkel or dive after no having done it for a while), we sat on the warm rocks (using our towels as padding), and soaked up the glorious sun.

Then we headed for an actual beach, back up in Shellharbour.




Ah, the beach. Really nothing like it, and I really haven't seen any place (that's not a small island ala Fiji etc) that has beaches like ours. With kilometers of sand stretching out in both directions, the clear water, the atmosphere. 

To be honest, even when I was in the USA I found myself missing Australia's beaches.

This time I didn't get in the water.

Nat and I lazed around, soaking in the sun, and making pictures out of the clouds like we were 5 again.

Ok, so we did splash our feet in the waves, running in and out like crazy people and trying to splash each other like we were kids, but it was fun. All this while Amy and Boe bobbed about in the water.

It was a great day, and I had so much fun.

It was just what I needed. A day of fun, sun, water and my girlies.

All was good until we had dinner.

KFC

I ate it and within minutes was so hugely bloated it was difficult to take in a deep breath because my skin wouldn't stretch anymore.

I was so glad when we got to Boe's place and I could use her bathroom.

I felt better.

We dropped Amy off a home, and I took over the driving.

I felt ok. I had the window wound down so I could get some air but I was ok.

We were 20 minutes from Nat's place, still on the freeway, when I turned to her and said "We need to stop, I'm going to be sick".

I hit the breaks, hard (because I drive a manual and she drives and auto and I was reflexively looking for a clutch), put a hand over my mouth and a hand on the door.

Too late.

I was sick in her car.

I felt terrible about it later, after I'd got out of the car and was throwing up over the railing at the side of the road, while Nat cleaned up. (she said it was good practice for when the kids come along).

I took my dress off, used the clean part to wipe the grease (I could see it on my leg in the weak light from the car), and was forever grateful that I was still in my bikini, and not running around in my underwear.

Although, from the honks, and hollers we got from passing cars, I don't think they could tell the difference.

We made it home, and I spent the next 45 minutes curled around the toilet. 

I showered, then headed to bed.

And proceeded to get up about every 10-20 minutes, 30-40 if I was lucky, to throw up, or other things.

Even if I had nothing left to throw up, my body wouldn't stop.

I think it was trying to remove my organs my 3am.

Even water wouldn't stay down.

I finally dragged myself back to bed, carrying a bucket, and curled up, my clean beach towel under my head and seriously contemplated having to call my parents in the morning to come and get me because I didn't think I would be able to actually drive home.

Food poisoning...

I don't recommend it.

It took me 3 days to get over.

Thursday morning was the first morning I woke up without wondering if I would feel the need to vomit that day. I think the no work, and being able to sleep in helped immensely.

Thank god for amazing friends.

I put money in her bank account for car cleaning when I put the rest of the money for hair and make up in.

She wasn't happy, because she had told me not to...

That her car needed a clean anyway...

I didn't listen.

It alleviated my guilt just a little.

Needless to say I won't be eating KFC again.

Such a horrible way to end such an amazing weekend.

But. more good things to come :D




No comments:

Post a Comment